Is your family planning a holiday getaway this year? Whether you’re visiting family or headed somewhere warm to escape the winter chills, be sure to protect yourself from bringing home a pesky souvenir – bedbugs.
CNBC travel contributor Harriet Baskas offers a variety of modern luggage suggestions to consider for your next adventure – including the ThermalStrike Heated Luggage. The plug-in luggage has interior infrared panels that heat up to 140 degrees, killing all life stages of bedbugs and eggs. To begin the heating process, simply lift the handle and plug the unit into a traditional wall socket. The integrated timer will shut the unit off automatically after eight hours.
Additionally, when travelling, here are five tips to consider for keeping those bedbugs from biting when staying in a hotel room:
- Do your homework. Read online reviews of the hotel you’re planning to book for any complaints of bedbugs from previous guests.
- Before you check-in, ask the important questions including if the hotel has practices outlined to deal with infestations.
- Upon arrival, give your room a thorough inspection including the bed. Begin by pulling back all linens, checking around and under the mattress and behind the headboard for any signs of bedbugs.
- Check surroundings near the bed, too. Bedbugs can often be found up to 15 feet from the bed, so be sure to check in the cushions and seams of furniture and in the closet.
- Download Protect-A-Bed’s Bed Bug 101 mobile app for helpful pointers on how to identify and prevent bedbugs.
For complete peace of mind, use the ThermalStrike Heated Luggage to make sure you don’t bring these critters home. To find out more about the luggage, check out this YouTube tutorial for using the unit.